Friday, November 04, 2005
Me and Patsy Cline
Another crazy day at work. It's becoming more and more regularly crazy.

And speaking of crazy, at a slow point mid-morning a woman came in with her elderly father to get some coffee. As they made it up to my register, I could hear them talking about a Christian Church in the city. I mentioned to them that I knew that church because I was a minister here in town. This impressed them because apparently the elderly gentleman had been a minister for thirty years. After some small chit-chat, the woman then asked what I was doing working at Panera. I told her that we were planting a church in Walnut Hills. This, my friends, was her dead-pan response:

"Why would you want to do that?"

I don't know if could properly convey how she said that sentence to me. She looked at me in total disbelief, as if I had suddenly grown antlers before her very eyes. After I told her this personal info, she totally lost interest in talking to me. It was beyond her understanding that anyone would purposefully move to the city to start a church there. I laughed as they walked away, knowing that I am truly indeed loco.

Unfortunately it seems that it's only Christians who don't get what we're doing with Echo. But it's responses like this that keep me going. I love it when people think we're off our rocker because nothing world-altering succeeds criticism free. Since this morning, I've been thinking about some words the apostle Paul wrote in his second epistle to the Corinthians. He wrote,

"If we are out of our mind, it is for the sake of God; if we are in our right mind, it is for you.
For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died.
And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again."


So Paul, the brilliant theologian, does his best to reclaim the charges of lunacy aimed at him for Jesus. It's a good example to follow. So tighten up the straps on my straight-jacket; it's not quite snug enough.

Or as my wife would say, "Crazy? I was crazy once . . ."
yet another musing of steve-o @ 4:15:00 PM  
-->

Here Am I


steve-o
Cincinnati, Ohio

I am disciple. I am husband. I am father. I am pastor. I am friend. I am Cincinnatian. I am westside. I am thirty [plus five]. I am what I am. I am Spartacus.

THE HOUSE OF CARR
BEIT CARR DISCLAIMER
The Wife's Blog
Beit Carr Myspace
Beit Carr Flickr

Recent Ramblings
Yes, I Wrote All This
Dork Buttons
Sites Me Likes
Play On, Playa'
Promotional Considerations

15n41n1

Echo

BLOGGER