Wednesday, May 25, 2005
Who's Your Daddy, Luke?
I never realized how much Star Wars was a part of my life until I bought the DVDs of the first trilogy. After watching those movies my mind was flooded with thoughts of my childhood and how much I loved Star Wars. I guess I'll have a connection with those three movies until I die.

That being said, I thought I would feel a sense of completion as Kelly and I finally saw Revenge of the Sith on Monday. It just didn't happen. I absolutely disliked the first two episodes, but was encouraged at all the positive comments coming out about this movie. I left wondering what movie those people had watched. And I think I'm not the only one experiencing this frustration. Here are my thoughts after watching Episode 3:

At least now I know. After waiting almost ten years, from the announcement of George Lucas' plan to make the movies until now, we finally know what the first three installments were supposed to look like. That doesn't mean it was worth it. In retrospect, I wish Lucas had never made the movies. All I really wanted to know could've been summed up in the last hour of the third movie. Maybe I'm being a little hard on him. It's not like the Wachowski brothers did anything with the sequels of their smash The Matrix. But after what Peter Jackson did with The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and with a lot less CGI effects, Lucas should be embarrassed. Yet despite that . . .

It was visually stunning. It's amazing what they can do with computers now. Just watch the character of Yoda who went from hand puppet to fully fledged action hero. But the next generation of movie makers are going to have to struggle with how many computer generated effects to use. It might become fashionable to do high impact, action movies with little to no CGI.

There was no suspense in the story line at all. Obviously, we know how it was going to turn out: Vader, Luke, Leia, Obi Wan, Empire verses Rebels, yada, yada, yada. But this movie had no suspense like the first trilogy. Lucas has stated that he would encourage future generations to view the movies one through six, instead of how they came out but that would kill some of the best parts: a little green critter is the great Jedi master or Vader is Luke's father. I believe Lucas still could have kept some things mysterious, but he didn't give a rip.

It was the worst dialogue ever. Seriously, I just saw a middle school play that had better dialogue than this movie had. Why, why George didn't you get someone else to script this out for you? You might think this is nit-picky, but poor dialogue creates a definite cheese factor that these three movies have been fighting.

Still unanswered questions. How do the rebel forces get organized? What is Leia actually princess of? Why don't we see Boba Fett growing up? What happens to Jar Jar after the funeral?
It just seems that these movies weren't planned out well. And we get what we get.

So everyone says this one was better than the first two episodes. So what? Those movies were horrible. I'm just really disappointed. I guess I would still suggest Star Wars fans go and see Sith, but go with low expectations. Personally, I'm going to forget these past three movies were ever created.
yet another musing of steve-o @ 9:02:00 AM  
-->

Here Am I


steve-o
Cincinnati, Ohio

I am disciple. I am husband. I am father. I am pastor. I am friend. I am Cincinnatian. I am westside. I am thirty [plus five]. I am what I am. I am Spartacus.

THE HOUSE OF CARR
BEIT CARR DISCLAIMER
The Wife's Blog
Beit Carr Myspace
Beit Carr Flickr

Recent Ramblings
Yes, I Wrote All This
Dork Buttons
Sites Me Likes
Play On, Playa'
Promotional Considerations

15n41n1

Echo

BLOGGER