Thursday, December 08, 2005
Making Friends
We lived in Landen for three years and met six of our neighbors. Ironically, we finally met the people who lived directly behind us three weeks before we moved out.

So as we made our urban transition to start Echo, we decided to make a concerted effort to meet the people who lived around us. I suggested to Kelly that we should have a condo "get-to-know-each-other" party so we could connect with our new neighbors. That's about as far as I took it. Kelly, however, was passionate about making this dream a reality. She printed up flyers and taped them to the doors of everyone who lived in our complex, inviting them over tonight for a get together. She put a 7-9pm window on there, to give people a flexible opportunity to stop in. About 7:15 we were sitting on our couch alone, resigned to the fact that we would have to eat all the chocolate-chip cookies Kelly made ourselves.

But then there was a knock at the door.

The girls who live next door stopped in. I thought to myself, "at least there are two people here," and then there was another knock at the door. And fifteen minutes after that there was another. By the end of the night there were eight of us. Of course, everyone was single but Kelly and me, but I think we do a good job of not letting our married status be obnoxious. We had a great time of talking about our condos [they all have the same basic layout] and finding out a little bit more about each other. We had a great night. I'm sure we'll get together again sometime soon.

I'm so proud of my wife for getting this to happen. In things like this, I'm all talk and no action. I come up with some good ideas that I too often leave by the wayside. But Kelly came through. When we picked up and moved into the city, we knew we would have to meet people one-by-one and make a difference through relationships. We might have just started some of those relationships tonight.

Good job, wife. If only I were more like you.
yet another musing of steve-o @ 10:33:00 PM  
-->

Here Am I


steve-o
Cincinnati, Ohio

I am disciple. I am husband. I am father. I am pastor. I am friend. I am Cincinnatian. I am westside. I am thirty [plus five]. I am what I am. I am Spartacus.

THE HOUSE OF CARR
BEIT CARR DISCLAIMER
The Wife's Blog
Beit Carr Myspace
Beit Carr Flickr

Recent Ramblings
Yes, I Wrote All This
Dork Buttons
Sites Me Likes
Play On, Playa'
Promotional Considerations

15n41n1

Echo

BLOGGER