Friday, April 22, 2005
You Never Know
I've been on this kick lately trying not to judge people's irrational and idiotic actions because I don't know what they've been through or are going through in life. Yes, I struggle with being judgmental. It really seems to come out when I'm driving. People's entire demeanors transform when they get behind the wheel of a car, and they do some ridiculous things on the road. So when some turd-bucket cuts me off on the expressway and proceeds to hit their breaks, I've tried to refrain from naughty words, telling myself "maybe they're going through a rough time." Don't get me wrong- I'm no saint; I'm still judgmental, but at least I'm working on it.

I went down to CCU this morning to play basketball again and, halfway down I-71, it started to pour. Since it was still dark outside, you could barely see twenty yards in front of you. By the time I reached campus I just wanted to find a parking place near the door so I wouldn't get drenched. There was an open space up front so I backed in, grabbed my stuff and ran inside- barely getting wet. By the time I left an hour or so later, the rain had stopped and it was lighter outside. I then discovered why the space so close to the door was available: it was a handicapped parking space. When I pulled in, it was dark and rainy and I had no idea I shouldn't have been parking there. Also, in my defense, they didn't have a sign up [it was only spray painted in white in the actual parking spot] and when I attended/worked there it wasn't a handicapped spot. All morning, though, I've been feeling like a jerk. I'm pretty sure no one needed the spot because it was pretty early, but you know someone drove by, saw my Explorer without a handicapped parking permit, and had the urge to slash my tires. That's how I feel when I see people who do what I did.

But maybe this is how God chose to reinforce the lesson he's teaching me. It's incredibly easy to point fingers of blame at people but sometimes you have no idea what's really going on. If I would only grant as much grace as I expect others to give me, I could turn out to be a good guy. So "judge not lest ye be judged yourself." Unless you're actually a judge. That would make it difficult for you to do your job if you didn't judge.
yet another musing of steve-o @ 8:43:00 AM  
-->

Here Am I


steve-o
Cincinnati, Ohio

I am disciple. I am husband. I am father. I am pastor. I am friend. I am Cincinnatian. I am westside. I am thirty [plus five]. I am what I am. I am Spartacus.

THE HOUSE OF CARR
BEIT CARR DISCLAIMER
The Wife's Blog
Beit Carr Myspace
Beit Carr Flickr

Recent Ramblings
Yes, I Wrote All This
Dork Buttons
Sites Me Likes
Play On, Playa'
Promotional Considerations

15n41n1

Echo

BLOGGER